Monday, March 27, 2006

Requests granted, unexpectedly...

Alright, this is a little out of character for this blog, but I figure that the character of this blog can be whatever I want it to be, and tonight I deem it should be a little different.

Some background: I'm tired. I've been feeling rather exhausted lately, and I'm not altogether sure why.
Also, I've been trying anew, and succeeding anew, with some of the harder aspects of my walk with and toward God.

That said, tonight I was on my way to visit a friend from Berkeley who is down for springbreak at a local Starbucks. While driving I was talking to God, and I, in my exhausted state, just broke out and told Him just exactly what I felt about my life at the moment.

Much was said between us, but my bit ended with "I've been doing what you've asked me! I would like a bit of a reward! Some peace of mind, some sign that you like what I've been doing! I want to feel better about myself. Lord, I'd like for some girl to flirt with me tonight. Just some cute girl to smile at me without my initiating it. That's it."

And that was it. The end of the conversation. He said nothing in return, so I just drove and felt silly for asking for such a ridiculous and immature thing.

I arrived at Starbucks to find that all of my friends from highschool who had left for college were back in town, and waiting for me! It was great, we all caught up and exchanged stories and news, and talked of roadtrips and visiting while sipping hot drinks.

On my way back home I was stopped at a red light when some of the ladies from this group of friends pulled up next to me and signaled for me to roll down my window. So I did.

"Hey! You're hot!" they called.

I was flabbergasted.

The light turned green, we all laughed and I turned left while they went straight.

As I was pulling into my drive I was thinking about just how the night had ended up. I hadn't thought of my request after I saw that my friends were back. And then God pulled that right out of His hat.

I ask for one cute girl to smile at me, and He has three.

I feel so silly for relating this story, for asking for such a childish thing. Not impure, but not very adult. Yet He still delivered, and in the best of all possible ways;with people who, while attractive, are no temptation to me to become distracted from Him. God is good.

That's all I have to say. God is good.

4 comments:

Owen said...

hahaha! Great story! hahaha! I enjoyed it. I love how you were honest with God. The wonderful thing about that prayer is that it was deffinately from the heart and ment, it is obvious that it was in no way influenced by any lofty prayers that we so often like to re-word. We know those prayers are good and so we pray them but your prayer was incredibly yours. I love it. I love that God answered it that way too. Hahaha. I'm smiling inside.

A.E.B. said...

It's a wonderful feeling, knowing that you’re doing exactly what God wants you to be doing. And I think that being so frank with God about the whole issue is virtuous. You were completely honest, you trusted that God would respond, and of course He, being always faithful, responded beyond your expectations. It’s beautiful: He will always be faithful, and He loves to make us smile, whether it be through the ducks at the park, an awe-inspiring symphony, or through a pretty girl’s smile. Most people don’t think to ask Him for it, though. I think half the time we lack the courage and faith to ask, doubting that God would listen to or answer our silly and immature requests, or perhaps even doubting his omnipotence. Either way, if we don't ask, it is we who are silly and immature, not our requests. I’m so glad you shared this, Josh. God is good indeed.

amy katherine said...

let's hope God doesn't answer your prayer for a wife in the same fashion, unless you plan on moving to Utah. ;)
on the serious side, i think my strongest sense of God's presence, what keeps me from being able to ever deny His existance, would be just these sort of instances: silly, inconsequential, undeniable.

Owen said...

Amy katrinas utah joke was hilarious. hahaha love it.